Founder of ISKCON. His Divine
The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Fearlessness purification of one's existence cultivation of spiritual knowledge charity self-control performance of sacrifice study of the Vedas austerity simplicity nonviolence truthfulness freedom from anger renunciation tranquillity aversion to faultfinding compassion for all living entities freedom from covetousness gentleness modesty steady determination vigor forgiveness fortitude cleanliness and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor -- these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature. (Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3)
Brahma Madhva Gaudiya Vaisnava Sampradaya
Vedic knowledge is carefully passed down from guru to disciple in spiritual lineages called sampradayas. India’s sampradayas have for centuries protected its traditions of deep spirituality. Unfortunately, when spiritual knowledge is not gained from an authorized sampradaya it lacks real spiritual benefit.
The Hare Krishna movement strictly adheres to the sampradaya system. Srila Prabhupada, the movement’s founder, was a spiritual master of the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya sampradaya, which begins with Lord Krishna and includes His most recent descent, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
The lineage is known as the Brahma sampradaya because at the beginning of creation Lord Krishna Himself enlightened Brahma, the original inquisitive soul, the first created being.
The line later becomes known as the Brahma-Madhva sampradaya because of the prominent teacher Madhva (A.D. 1238-1319).
Still later, the line becomes known as the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya sampradaya after the line is joined by Sri Chaitanya (1486-1534), who appeared in the region of Gauda (Bengal) and imbued the tradition with new vigor.
The members of the sampradaya up to Srila Prabhupada, the founder and spiritual preceptor of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, are listed below.
- 1. Lord Sri Krishna
- 2. Lord Brahma
- 3. Narada
- 4. Vyasa
- 5. Madhva
- 6. Padmanabha (or Padmanabha Tirtha)
- 7. Narahari (or Narahari Tirtha)
- 8. Madhava (or Madhava Tirtha)
- 9. Akshobhya (or Akshobhya Tirtha)
- 10. Jaya Tirtha (Tikacharya)
- 11. Jnana-sindhu
- 12. Daya-nidhi
- 13. Vidya-nidhi (Vidyadhiraja) Tirtha
- 14. Rajendra (Rajendra Tirtha)
- 15. Jayadharma (Jaya-dharma Tirtha or Vijayadhvaja Tirtha)
- 16. Purushottama
- 17. Brahmanya Tirtha
- 18. Vyasa Tirtha
- 19. Lakshmipati
- 20. Madhavendra Puri
- 21. A. Ishvara Puri
- 21. B. Lord Nityananda (Nitai)
- 21. C. Advaita Prabhu (Advaitacarya)
- 22. Lord Chaitanya
- 23. A. Rupa Goswami
- 23. B. Svarupa Damodara Goswami
- 23. C. Sanatana Goswami
- 24. A. Raghunatha Dasa Goswami
- 24. B. Jiva Goswami
- 25. Krishnadasa Kaviraja Goswami
- 26. Narottama Dasa Thakura
- 27. Vishvanatha
- 28. A. Baladeva Vidyabhushana
- 28. B. Jagannatha Dasa Babaji
- 29. Bhaktivinoda
- 30. Gaurakishora
- 31. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati
- 32. A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada